1. Have completed a trust induction and departmental induction( if you are in a new hospital)
2. Meet with you ES/College tutor within the 1st 2 weeks of your rotation, a mid term appraisal and pre ARCP appraisal. It is your responsibility to arrange this. Upload evidence of this on your portfolio.
3. Discuss your PDP (objective setting)-
4. Select an audit project/QIP
5. Keep a track of all CPD and write a reflection- College CPD diary can be used for this.
6. Start populating your portfolio with your curriculum requirements as early as possible- space out the CBDs to do 2 a month and write a good reflection in spaces available.
7. Keep a record of your surgical log and complications- Continuous Cataract Complications Audit
8. Use the RSTA forms to populate your achievements (form to follow)
9. Start your MSF in January 2018.
10. Populate a CSR for each Clinical supervisor (with comments in > 50% of domains) for each 6 month period- due Jan 2018 and May 2018
11. ESR populated in January and May and signed off.
12. Report critical incidents or an adverse events and write a reflection.
13. EPA in year 6 and 7 at least 2.
14. GMC survey and EPEF to be completed when sent.
Please see the ARCP requirements attached so that you are well prepared for ARCP in 2018 for which the following dates have been decided. Those needing an interim ARCP will be informed of the date. The following dates have been agreed with the deanery.
1. Date for portfolio’s to be complete 1st June 2018.
2. Week for virtual assessments by STC- 2nd June -8th June 2018
3. RA and TPD to review virtual results and invite for interview 15th June 2018
4. Date of interviews for ARCP 29th June 2018.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Page below to be updated
Annual Review of Competence Progression guidance
Authors: Amylee Shirodkar ST5, Damien Yeo ST6, Michael Austin - College Regional Adviser
This has been completed to help trainees prepare their online e-portfolio for ARCP. You should prepare your portfolio sufficiently to show progression of learning, team working skills and reflection. You should assign all activities to each domain including: ophthalmology learning outcomes, good medical practice and revalidation sections. Keep your portfolio up-to-date as everything will be important for CCT as well as revalidation. The link to the OST curriculum: http://curriculum.rcophth.ac.uk/
OST – ophthalmic specialist training
ESR – educational supervisor’s report
CSR – clinical supervisor’s report
OSATS – objective assessment of surgical and technical skills
DOPS – direct observation of procedural skills
CBD – case based discussion
MSF – multisource feedback
CRS – Clinical rating scale
PDP – professional development plan
A - Assist
PS –Primary surgeon under supervision
P – Primary surgeon
SJ – Supervised junior
1. Updating contact details: Update your contact details, stage of OST and supervisors under title page and my details. If your contact details change in the future, send an email to your Educational Supervisor and Training Programme Director to confirm communication.
2. Create an ARCP folder: Under progress tab select create new ARCP, input last date of rotation, all assessments for these dates should be filed into this ARCP folder designated for your current stage of training.
3. Creating and maintaining your PDP: each year and 6 month blocks should have a PDP uploaded and discussed with your educational supervisor. You should think about a minimum of 2 audits a year as well as presentations, publications and quality improvement projects.
4. Assessments required for each stage: Under the progress tab, show requirements displays the minimum assessments required for your current stage and those required for cumulative years, using a traffic light system. (This is in addition to completing procedural numbers on your ESR form). Work steadily, do not bunch.
5. Work based assessments: Link all assessments to good medical practice domains as per the GMC, then assign them to the current ARCP folder. When an assessment has been approved you will receive an email. Then, you must assign the activity to the following: an ophthalmology learning outcome, a good medical practice association and a revalidation domain. Then finally to the ARCP folder for the year. There may be many associations per assessment. Most domains should have a WBA assigned to it by the end of CCT.
6. Assigning, uploading and naming documents: Upload files and scanned documents onto your portfolio. Under the Resources tab select add resource and complete this page.
7. Completing CBDs: A list of Clinical Scenarios (approximately 40) that cover most of the OST curriculum are provided in the OST study guide (http://lsr.curriculum.rcophth.ac.uk/study-guide/scenarios). Trainees should aim to cover all these scenarios. It is recommended that about half of the cases used for CBDs are selected by the trainee and the other half by the trainer. Complete 10 CBDs, spread out, each year. Complete CBDs fully as they can be used to look back on to remind yourself of important learning points. CBD forms can be completed:
- During/at the end of an out-patient clinic, approximately a 5-10 minute discussion about the management of a patient the trainee has seen during an out-patient clinic. It is a good idea to plan this time with your clinical supervisor.
- Case presentations during postgraduate teaching.
- During a designated teaching session. one-to-one teaching or small group teaching where cases are discussed and a CbD form completed.
a. You should obtain a CSR from every consultant with whom you work with during your timetabled activities.
b. Make sure that at least 50% of the tick box options have a corresponding narrative comment.
11. Completing your Eye logbook: you should enter every procedure you have been involved in into the Royal College Eye logbook - the link for which is below. Download a PDF version of your logbook - create the Output Data tab and select the appropriate dates & format. Save the file as eyelogbookyearmonthdate, and upload the pdf file onto your portfolio. *You no longer need to fill in the boxes in the logbook that comes with the ESR form, as long as you have a summary of your logbook uploaded*
A = assist, PS – primary surgeon under supervision, P – primary surgeon, SJ – supervised junior
It is important to confirm your training and supervision. There should be an appropriate proportion of PS to demonstrate this. More senior trainees should also be supervising (under supervision).
12. Completing your MSF: Assessment should include: 2 trainees, consultants, theatre sister, clinic sister and the rest can be anyone else. A minimum of 11 people are needed to complete your assessment, the maximum is 15. You need to have the names and contact email addresses for 11-15 people. Some assessors will already be registered with the College, but you may need to enter the details for some assessors yourself. Please ensure you have checked any details, especially email addresses prior to saving your assessment. Requests to complete the MSF will not be received by assessors if the email address is entered incorrectly.
13. CPD: Show CPD by attending courses etc and list them under the CPD section of the portfolio. Make notes reflecting on what you have learnt and how useful the courses were. Remember to complete attendance register to allow audit and checking of your portfolio by your educational supervisor.
14. Other items to upload:
· GMC Survey completion code (as a print screen, or a pdf of a word document)
· Presentations (audit, teaching etc)
· Publications, posters
· An up to date CV if possible
· Exams and degrees- upload letters (pass or fail) and certificates, name files according to year
· Thank you letters (anonymised) - upload and name file according to year and assign to ARCP
· Any letters of complaint
15. FormR and absence forms: Provided by the deanery near the ARCP date. Complete and upload onto your portfolio.
a. Check details are up-to-date
b. Check all work based assessments are completed for your stage https://portfolio.rcophth.ac.uk/portfolio/progress/stages
c. Make sure PDP is up to date.
d. Complete CSR reports(each as a PDF file) from every consultant that you are timetabled with during the year. (with initials on each page and a signature on the last page)
e. Complete ESR reports for 6 months and 12 months. (with initials on each page and a signature on the last page)
f. MSF completed in advance of the ARCP date.
g. Download as pdf, and upload eyelogbook summary of procedures for 6 months and 12 months.
h. Upload proof that you have completed the GMC survey by showing your GMC survey completion code either as a pdf or a screen capture.
i. Upload presentations, publications, certificates, cv, thank you letters, complaint letters etc
Important online links
1. The link to the OST curriculum: http://curriculum.rcophth.ac.uk/
2. The link for subjects to base CBDs on http://curriculum.rcophth.ac.uk/study-guide/scenarios
3. Link for ESR and CSR forms: https://www.rcophth.ac.uk/training/ost-information/
4. Link for the Eye Logbook: https://www.eyelogbook.co.uk/
5. Link for the Gold Guide: http://www.copmed.org.uk/publications/the-gold-guide